Sunday, February 14, 2010

Going Once. Going Twice. Sold to the lady with the baby.

The money I saved making the necessary cuts really helped a lot. And we were getting by by the skin of our teeth. So, it was time get creative. What could I do to earn a little extra cash without putting Makenzie in daycare? I toyed with a few ideas and even attempted providing an in home daycare. Nothing was concrete though. And honestly, taking care of my own children was work enough let alone another person's screaming little monsters. Truth be told, I am glad the child care thing never worked.

The ideas left as quickly as they came in. Luckily my mom swooped in with a brilliant idea that saved the day! Do you know what happens to your stuff in a storage unit if you don't pay the monthly rent? It doesn't sit there and wait for you. The contents of the storage units are sold auction style to the highest bidder. This was the break I was longing for. I work when I want, I am the boss and my baby can always be with me! So we managed to save a little start up cash. Nothing big, just $100.

We struck gold with the first storage auction we went to. We won the entire contents of a unit for $50. We did invest in a truck, $65, to get it all home. That was a total monetary investment of $115. I ebayed and craigslisted the hell out of that stuff. Off of that $50 unit we made $2,000. Deduct my original investment of $115 that gave me a profit of $1,885. And so my auctioning days began.
Not all auctions produced that much profit for me but they definitely produced enough extra cash to make it all worth while. It just takes a little dough to get started. The biggest investment was my time and commitment. But damn it was worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment